Following is the text of the Supplemental United States Submission of information to the United Nations Security Council in Accordance with Paragraph 5 of Resolution 771 (1992) and Paragraph 1 of Resolution 780 (1992), dated April 12, 1993.

This is seventh submission of United States Government of information pursuant to Paragraph 5 of Security Council Resolution 771 (1992) relating to violations of humanitarian law, including grave breaches of Geneva Conventions, being committed on the territory of former Yugoslavia. As in previous reports, we have focused on grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions and, in accordance with Resolution 771, have provided information that is "substantiated", that is, which rest upon eyewitness testimony directly available to us or that includes detail sufficient for corroboration.

As with previous reports, we have tried to ensure that our collection effort has been even-handed and aimed at gathering information on crimes committed by all parties in conflict. It should be noted, however, that access to independent sources within the territory of the Republic of Serbia and Montenegro has proved very difficult, due to limitations imposed by authorities in those areas.

We have tried not to duplicate information from other countries and non-governmental sources, which we understand will submit reports pursuant to Resolutions 771 and 780. The United States has further information substantiating the incidents included in this report, which we will make available on a confidential basis directly to the Commission of Experts, established under Security Council Resolution 780.

In accordance with paragraph 1 of Resolution 780, the United States intends to continue providing reports as additional relevant information that comes in our possession. As in our previous reports, the notations at the end of each of the items indicate the source from which the information is drawn.

Former Yugoslavia: Grave Breaches of the Fourth Geneva Convention, Seventh Submission

Willful Killing

(1) June-September 92:

A 32-year-old Muslim had fled with some other men into the woods around his village of Carakovo in early May 1992. On June 22, after nearly 2 months of hiding, Serbian soldiers captured him, the six men with whom he had been hiding, and around 22 men from the village.

An estimated 40 Serb soldiers wearing JNA [Yugoslav National Army] uniforms marched the men along the road to a spot called Poljski Put near the Sidrov Kavana (Anchor Cafe), where they ordered the men to sit on the ground. The Serb soldiers then threw two pictures of Tito onto the ground in front of the men and told some of them to tear up the pictures and eat them. After this, the Serbs began to take the men one by one off to the side to beat them.

The witness saw them carve orthodox crosses into the chest of some of the men. After each prisoner was beaten, he was taken into a nearby shed and shot. The beatings and killings lasted about 2 hours, during which time the group's commander was in a nearby yard and did nothing to stop the violence.

As the soldiers tried to carve a cross into the 20th man in the group, the prisoner struggled free - his head covered with the blood and one eyeball hanging from its socket. A soldier then shot the man in the head and nearly shot one of his comrades in the process. At this point , the commander ordered the soldiers to stop the killings before they kill one of their own. Thus, nine men, including the witness, survived.

The nine survivors were loaded onto a bus for Keraterm camp. As the bus drove off, the witness saw the shed that held the corpses of 20 dead men engulfed in flames.

This witness was in Room Three at Keraterm on the night of July 24, 1992, when Serbian guards opened fire on the room with machine guns. He said 157 men were killed, and 57 wounded.

On September 3, 1992, the witness was transferred with about 1,000 other prisoners to Trnopolje camp, where he said security is lax, and the prisoners were allowed out of the camp to find food. After 19 days at Trnopolje, the witness escaped. (Department of State)

(2) Summer 92:

According to Muslim witnesses, Muslims conducted revenge killings in Gorazde during the summer of 1992, executing innocent Serbs summarily and destroying whole districts where Serbs have congregated. Gorazde city officials confirmed that there had been no trials. (The New York Times)

(3) July 92:

A 57-year-old Bosnian Muslim witnessed ethnic cleansing of Prijedor in late July 1992. The Serbs in Prijedor killed large numbers of Muslims in the Muslim section located in the city center. The witness saw them massacred 18 Muslim men at the home of Mustafa Ceric, who was one of the victims. JNA soldiers cut off two fingers (the little finger and the ring finger) of each man's hand "so they could make the sign of the cross." The they cut off the men's noses and ears, and finally cut their throats.

The bodies of these 18 men were put on a truck together with 40 or 50 bodies of other men killed in Partizanska Ulica and were buried in the coal mines at Tomasica, south of Prijedor. (Department of State)

(4) July 92:

A 40-year old Muslim woman witnessed the killing of Foca Muslims in early July 1992. One night at 9 PM, the witness saw Serbs leading a group of seven people up to the "Tito" sign on a hill overlooking Foca. She said [that] group was driven up the hill in a yellow mini-van. The group included Nezir Hatibovic, a dentist, and his wife, Majda. She saw the Serbs make the group strip, take their money and the identification cards, and murder them with knives. The bodies were thrown in the Drina River.

During the next 4 to five days, the witness saw the same yellow mini-van bringing people to the same site where they were slaughtered in the same fashion. She saw some bodies thrown in the Drina, and others thrown into truck that were driven away.

The witness said the van came from the direction of the men's prison at the KP Dom and she suspected [that] the victims were prisoners from that camp. She believes there is a mass grave under the "Tito" sign, and two or three mass graves near the outdoor stadium in Foca. (Department of State)

(5) 3 July 92:

A middle-aged Muslim woman described the attack on her village of Trosan, near Foca.

Local Serbs had surrounded Trosan from April 8 to July 3, 1992, prohibiting Muslims from entering or leaving. Every night, the villagers slept in the woods out of fear of being attacked. They returned by day for food.

On July 3, an 80-member band of local Serbs attacked the sleeping villagers in the woods. The band called themselves White Eagles and had White Eagle emblems on the shoulders of their camouflage uniforms. Their leader was a man from a neighboring village and known to the witness.

The band started the attack by opening fire on the group, immediately killing Edhem Barlov, Esad Calovo, Selima Pekaz, and Faila Odobasic. At least four others were wounded and a woman was beaten until she fainted. Everyone was treated roughly. Eventually another local Serb approached the group and told them to leave the villagers alone.

The villagers were then separated - men in one group, women in another. When the approximately 35 women and children were led away about 20 meters, the Serbs opened automatic weapons fire on the men. The women and children, who were not allowed to bury the dead or see who was killed, were led around Trosan, through the woods and observed the burning of all 30 homes in the village. (Department of State)

(6) June-July 92:

A 55-year-old Bosnian Muslim from Brcko stated that Serbian forces "stormed" into the suburb of Novo Brcko. Chetniks, including White Eagle forces, shot rifles into the windows of residences and drove people into the street. All residents were put into six trucks, which made about three trips to ferry the people to an area where three schools were co-located.

The residents of Novo Brcko were gathered onto the combined athletic fields of the schools. With megaphones, the captors directed Serbs to one part of the field, Croats to another and yet Muslim to another. Members of mixed marriages and children were not permitted to remain together. Along with the group of males aged 13 or older, the witness was among the first prisoners taken to Luka camp, where he was forced to sign documents "selling" his property in Novo Brcko at a low price to a Serb whom he identified.

During his first days at the camp, the captors called out names of prisoners from electoral rolls. All those who were members of SDA (a Bosnian, primarily Muslim, political party) or who had held positions of leadership in business or industry were killed. Shootings often occurred at 4 am. The witness estimates that, during his first week at Luka, more than 2,000 men were killed or thrown into the Sava River. (See section that includes mass graves.)

After four days of mass shootings, there was a lull. From the fifth day, prisoners who were ethnic Serbs and were accused of being disloyal to the Chetnik cause were taken for interrogation and beatings.

The witness was interrogated on the seventh day of his captivity. This was the stage where detainees with property or money were subjected to questioning and torture. The witness, who was affluent, would not described his own beating. By this point all prisoners who have known to have been politically active have already been killed.

Following his second week in the Luka facility, the witness said guards torture or kill Serbs who had hidden or helped Muslims. The camp commander designated a Bosnian Serb who had been a waiter at Brcko hotel to seek out specific ethnic Serb prisoners for interrogation because he knew most of the Brcko area residents by name.

After the witness had been interrogated, he was taken with other prisoners to Hangar Two of the loading dock, where they were forced to look at a pile of more than 200 corpses or torsos. Most of the body parts had been chopped off: hands, arms, and genitals. The prisoners standing outside the Hangar Two were told [that] they would end up like that if they told lies while being interrogated.

When the 13-year-old son of Rasko Kartal tried to protect his father from the sight, one of the Chetniks hit the boy with a butt of a gun shattering his face. The guard killed the father with three shots when Rasko went after the guard for crushing the boy's face.

Looking out the window during one of his interrogation, the witness saw the soldiers gang-rape a woman whom he had known since his school days and murder her husband. A Brcko school teacher among the guards, an ethnic Serb, was shot dead for refusing to join the torture and killing of this couple. The witness identified many of those responsible for the atrocities at Luka, including its second camp commander. This commander, according to the witness, showed serious concern over the fact that some guards carried out their "duties" with knives. Most other guards at Luka were also visibly afraid of the knife-wielding guards, who were regularly seen castrating male prisoners. (Department of State)

(7) June-July 92:

A 38-year-old Bosnian Muslim described the beating deaths of two men at Omarska camp.

He recalled a Croatian man, under 30 years old, named Petrovic, who had come from Ljubija. The Serbian guards were especially brutal to Petrovic and beat him repeatedly in the "White House" over several days. After the last such beating, the witness helped take the bloody shirt off his back and saw that it was bruised black from the waist to neck. Petrovic died about 4 am on July 1 or 2.

A man in his twenties, named Avdic, was beaten in the White House repeatedly over the same open wounds until the witness could see the bone in his upper back where the skin and muscle had been torn away. The wounds, oozing blood, had festered so much that other prisoners could not bear to sit next to him because of the stench. About 1 PM on August 18 or 19, the Serbian guards took Avdic outside. The witness heard the burst of gunfire about an hour later. He never saw Avdic again. (Department of State)

(8) 13 June 92:

A 22-year-old Bosnian Muslim was part of the June 13, 1992, roundup in Mostar of about 200 Bosnian Muslim and Croatian men, women, and children by Bosnian Serb forces. They were taken to Zalik, at the northern end of Mostar.

At about 4 PM of that day, the chief of police in Zalik ordered the women and children separated from the men, who were marched to the Sjeverni Logor military installation nearby. After their names were registered on a roster, the men were put on three small trucks. Between 12 to 15 Serbian irregulars boarded a fourth truck, and the four vehicle convoy departed for Sutine, located several kilometers north of Zalik.

Upon their arrival in Sutine, the prisoners were taken to a building that belonged to the cemetery and was adjacent to the Sutine landfill. The building was being used as an interrogation and processing center for Bosnian Muslim and Croatian prisoners. Two of the rooms in the building were used for interrogation and torture of prisoners.

One by one, the prisoners were led to one of the interrogation rooms, where they were beaten and tortured by an inspector and two or three guards. After being indiscriminately beaten and tortured, the prisoners were taken outside and executed by either the inspector, with a pistol shot to the head, or by the guards, with a burst from their automatic rifles.

Over a period of 90 minutes, bodies of executed prisoners were dumped into the Sutine landfill at a rate of about one body every 5 minutes. The witness who was wounded and assumed dead, escaped from the landfill later at night. (Department of State)

(9) 1 June 92:

A 62-year-old Bosnian Muslim witness the willful killing by ethnic Serb paramilitary forces of at least 53 men, women, and children in the village of Prhovo, Bosnia.

At about 3 PM on May 30, 1992, a large force of ethnic Serb paramilitary soldiers and three armored personnel carriers entered Prhovo, a village located about 7 kilometers northeast of Kjuc. The village, which contained 45 houses grouped along the main road and several small streets, had more than 150 inhabitants.

The soldiers who wore stocking masks over their face, went from house to house searching for weapons. After finding some weapons, the soldiers proceeded to ransack the homes, break windows and doors, and pull the residents out into the streets. These men, women, and children were ordered to fold their hands behind their heads and were herded through the village to a point on the road where they were stopped and lined up.

Meanwhile the soldiers attempted to coax back into the village those residents who had run into the woods when the soldiers arrived. The soldiers announced through megaphones that the residents would not be harmed if they returned. When these people returned, the soldiers beat them severely; about 10 were beaten into unconsciousness.

The assembled villagers were then told that they were free, that they need not worry anymore, and that they must place white flags on their homes to indicate the village had surrender. During the nights of May 30-31, some people fled to the woods, while others slept in their cellars.

At about 6 PM on June 1, the soldiers returned and again used megaphones to call people in from the forest. They also went from house to house, pulling people out into the streets. The male residents were beaten severely. At about 7 PM, the soldiers began murdering the residents with automatic weapons. They fired single shots then long bursts of automatic gunfire.

After the shooting stopped and the soldiers had departed, the witness, who had fled to the woods when the shooting started, returned to the village. The murdered men, women, and the children lay in the streets. Houses were burning, and their roofs were collapsing. Some women and children who had hidden in basements began coming into the street crying and looking for their loved ones.

The following 53 people were killed in the massacre:

1. Ekrem HADZIC, 32

2. Izet HADZIC, 30

3. Suvad HADZIC, 31

4. Zijad HADZIC, 30, husband of No.5

5. Riubija HADZIC, 32, wife of No.4

6. Amel HADZIC, 14, son of Nos. 4 and 5

7. Amela HADZIC, 9, daughter of Nos. 4 and 5

8. Hajro HADZIC, 55

9. Hasim HADZIC, 34, son of No.8

10.Senad HADZIC, 17, grandson of No.8

11.Ilfad BRKOVIC, 45, husband of No.12

12.Rasema BRKOVIC, 45, wife of No.11

13.Nisveta BRKOVIC, 10, daughter of Nos. 11 and 12

14.Camil MEDANOVIC, 40

15.Enes MEDANOVIC, 21

16.Sulejman MEDANOVIC, 55

17.Ahmo MEDANOVIC, 59, brother of No.16

18.Vahid MEDANOVIC, 60

19.Suvad MEDANOVIC, 23, son of No.18

20.Safet MEDANOVIC, 32

21.Nasiha MEDANOVIC, 30

22.Enesa MEDANOVIC, 20

23.Fadila MEDANOVIC, 18

24.Hadzire MEDANOVIC, 65

25.Indira MEDANOVIC, 7

26.Hava MEDANOVIC, 30

27.Arif MEDANOVIC, 70

28.Sefik MEDANOVIC, 28

29.Teufik MEDANOVIC, 30

30.Fatime MEDANOVIC, 55

31.Midheta MEDANOVIC, 18

32.Hasan MEDANOVIC, 45

33.Halil MEDANOVIC, 22, son of No.32

34.Mujo MEDANOVIC, 15, son of No.32

35.Hilmo JUSIC

36.Nedzad JUSIC

37.Nermin JUSIC

38.Enisa JUSIC

39.Azemine JUSIC

40.Emira JUSIC

41.Samira JUSIC

42.Latif JUSIC

43.Ramiza JUSIC

44.Osme JUSIC

45.Isak MESIC

46.Ismet MESIC

47.Gane MESIC

48.Ismeta MESIC

49.Kamanfie OSMANOVIC



52.Mehmed DEDIC


Most of the survivors left Prhovo on June 2 to live with friends and relatives in nearby villages. The witness and few other Muslim men buried the dead on June 9. (Department of State)

(10) May-July 92:

An elderly Muslim woman was living with her family on the outskirts of Muslim-controlled area of Gorazde, when in May, 1992, Uzicki corps from the Serbian town of Uzicka stationed tanks on the mountain of Povrsnica, outside Gorazde.

On May 4, the Serbs announced that a Muslim had killed a Serb and, according to the witness, used this as a pretext to begin bombing the city. She saw the Serb bombing of Hotel Drina, which housed numerous Muslim female and child refugees from neighboring areas, and the victims' bodies strewn over the pavement. From May 4, local Serbs, who had roam around town harassing Muslims, removed the stockings they have been wearing over their heads to conceal their identities. Thus, the witness was able to identify many of the perpetrators of atrocities in Gorazde.

In mid-June, the witness saw Serbian soldiers massacre Muslims in a settlement at the foot of the mountain and throw the bodies into the Drina River. On July 19, a Serb soldier came to her house on the Povrsnica mountain and killed her daughter. Local Serbs had already taken away her son-in-law on May 26. (Department of State)

(11) May-June 92:

Two Bosnian Muslims witnessed Serbian actions against a series of villages from a hill above Prijedor and identified some of the men who helped command the attacks and performed executions.

On May 27, 1992, there was a skirmish when a Serbian patrol stumbled upon Muslim checkpoint on the road from Harambine to Ljubija. Three Serbs were killed. The Serbs then gave an ultimatum for the village of Harambine to surrender. Soon after this, the Sixth Krajina brigade attacked Harambine,using three tanks in the fighting. From Carakovo the two witnesses could the village of Harambine in flames. The Serb forces then moved on to Kozarac and Biscani. On June 23, three days after the attack on Biscani, the Serbs moved against Carakovo. Radio Prijedor had announced that Muslims should not be afraid, that the soldiers were only looking for extremists. Both witnesses were hiding in the village during the attack. The attack began at 8:15 am. The Serbs first killed two older men by slitting their throats.

The witnesses then heard gunfire and afterward saw a pile of 15-20 bodies in the street. Seventeen people were forced into a local mosque. The soldiers then burned down the mosque with the people inside.

The two witnesses eventually escaped across the border into Croatia. (Department of State)

(12) 6 May 92:

A 55-year-old Bosnian Muslim was in Kremalusa on May 5, 1992, when White Eagles surrounded the village and opened fire with machine guns and mortars. The Serbian irregulars continue firing at the village until the afternoon May 6 when they moved into the village and began to search the houses and round up the occupants. They used the witness as a point man and human when they entered the houses and as a precaution against booby traps.

During the searches, the soldiers were looking primarily for gold, Western currency, and weapons. Some residents who were believed to be wealthy or who had a family member working in Western Europe were killed for not surrendering the gold or foreign currency that they were expected to have; the houses with the bodies inside were set on fire.

If the occupants were too old to leave the building without assistance, no efforts were made to remove them, and the buildings were simply set on fire with the elderly occupants still inside. The witness identified the leader and several members of this search party.

Some of the Kremalusa victims were: Imam Abid Ukara, 80, who was burned alive in his daughter's house; Serif Ukara, 66, who was burn alive in his own house; Saban Ukara, 40, who was killed and burned in his house; 75-to 80 -year-old Hasan Polovina and his daughter, Sida Polovina, 40, both killed and then burned in their home; Tija Bojadzija, who was killed and then burned when his house was set on fire. (Department of State)

(13) 26 April 92:

A 62-year-old Muslim joined other villagers to visit JNA installation in Pilipovic, a small village outside Foca, for protection from the fighting in the surrounding area. At 1 pm, 50 White Eagles came to the military installation and searched all the Muslims for money. At one point during this search, the witness the White Eagles select six people from the group and shot them in a field 50 meters away. Four were killed: Meho Dedovic, 80; Sarko Sahovic, 57; Vahid Frasto, 37; and Munir Termiz, 29. (Department of State)

Torture of Prisoners

(14) May-December 92:

A 39-year-old Bosnian Muslim described his torture and imprisonment in the Keraterm, Omarska, and Manjaca camps. After the wave of Serbian attacks began in northern Bosnia and Herzegovina in April 1992, the witness fought for about one month with the local Kozarac Territorial Defense Force in defense of the town. Serbian forces captured him on May 25, 1992, when his small patrol ran into an ambush.

The Serbs tied him to a tree and beat him. He has a deep scar on his left arm and another scar on his right thigh caused when a Serb stuck a knife into his leg and twisted it. They also knocked out some of his teeth and tried to cut off part of his left index finger. A group of about 50 other Serb irregulars came by and took him to Prijedor prison on the evening of May 25.

On May 29, three Serbs who were not guards in Prijedor prison beat him and two other Muslim prisoners for at least half an hour with their fists and steel pipes. The witness was bleeding and half-conscious on the floor when he heard one of the Serbs tell another not to bother hitting his, that he was already dead. The witness said he could identify the three again.

On May 30, other Serbs took the witness to Prijedor hospital and put him in a large ward with other Muslim and Croatian patients. A Serbian nurse put him on intravenous treatment, which he believes saved his life.

On the morning of June 6 or 7, a Serbian doctor announced that all Muslim and Croatian patients, about 100 people, had to leave the Prijedor hospital immediately. The Muslim and Croatian medical staff also had to leave. The witness was moved by truck to Keraterm camp where he spent about 20 days before being moved on June 26 to Omarska camp.

While at Omarska camp the witness was beaten on two occasions in the White House. He and other prisoners were moved in late August to Manjaca camp, where he said Serbian guards kicked and hit him, but not as badly as those at Omarska. The witness was very grateful to the ICRC [International Committee of the Red Cross] for providing the food that kept him from starving until his release on December 14. (Department of State)

(15) August-October 92:

Three Bosnian Muslim men from Bileca - aged 33, 35, and 39 - witnessed the rounding up of the entire male Muslim population of their village, placement of these men in detention centers, and the final ethnic cleansing of Bileca by local Serbian authorities.

The 35-year-old witness described how 50 men were singled out for physical abuse at the detention center in Bileca. Each night police would enter the camp and conducted "telephone" torture. This method consisted of delivering 40-volt electrical shocks through a telephone wire affixed to their fingers. Each time the phone was dialed, the prisoners received massive electrical shocks. The same witness said that between 9 and 10 pm on September 5, police came to the jail claiming to be White Eagles and threatened to kill all inmates. In response to this threat, the prisoners boarded up the iron door to their cell to prevent the White Eagles from entering.

A Serbian guard helped the prisoners by warning them that the White Eagles were returning and not to let them in. The guard then threw the key to their cell in the bushes. For having helped the Muslims, the Serbian guard was beaten and held in an isolation cell with four Muslims.

The White Eagles shot at the cell and threw tear gas into the windows. During the 3-hour siege, six prisoners were wounded by bullets. The White Eagles left shortly after midnight.

The three witnesses provided names of those responsible for much of the torture and ethnic cleansing, but all were afraid to release the names of Serbians who had helped the Muslims for fear of retribution against these Serbs. The three witnesses were released on October 5. (Department of State)

(16) June-September 92:

A 37-year-old Bosnian Muslim was one of 183 Muslims being held at the central prison in Zvornik on June 29, 1992. All were from the surrounding area. The prisoners were beaten day and night. Every 2 to 3 hours, the guards would enter the cells and take a group of five to ten prisoners with them for interrogation, during which time they were beaten by four to five guards at a time.

The guards would kick the prisoners with boots and beat them with rifle butts and ax and shovel handles. Some of the prisoners taken for interrogation did not come back to their cells and were believed to have died from beatings. Every day new prisoners were brought to Zvornik prison, and an equal number of prisoners were taken to the Batkovic camp.

Between July 15 and September 23, the ICRC visited Batkovic camp twice. One visit was on or about August 15. Each time prior to the arrival of Red Cross personnel, the guards would take away the beaten prisoners and children under the age of 14 and hide them. The prisoners were taken to the town of Raca, where the rivers Sava and Drina join together. The prisoners were brought back after the departure of the Red Cross personnel.

After the first visit to the Manjaca camp by the news media, the Serbs transferred 700 prisoners from Manjaca to Batkovic. Between July 15 and September 23, the Serbs made at least four or five such transfers. In addition, two similar prison transfers were made from Omarska to Batkovic. A prisoner who was transferred from Luka camp in Brcko to the Batkovic camp in early September 1992 stated that while at the Luka camp he was assigned to a working party whose daily mission was to destroy the corpses. The working party would collect the corpses from a freezer located at a meat processing plant and dump them into a meat processing machine. After the corpses were ground up, the working party would load the processed corpses into the trucks and dump them into the Sava River. (Department of State)

(17) April-August 92:

A 59-year-old Bosnian Muslim from Foca was at home on April 27, 1992, when Serbian special forces entered his home and forced him and his son outside. The soldiers wore camouflage uniforms and black headbands and were complete strangers to him. He assumed they came from Serbia because they spoke in Ekavski dialect.

The witness, his son, and 18 other men from the neighborhood were taken by buses to the local KP Dom, a criminal rehabilitation center near the railway bridge on the Drina River. According to the witness, 560 Muslim men, all from the greater Foca area, were interned at KP Dom. The Serbs running the camp kept written records and biographic files on all those interned. Interrogations focused primarily on uncovering which Muslims in town had weapons.

Those running the center instilled fear in the Muslim prisoners by selecting certain prisoners for beatings. From his window in Room 13, the witness saw prisoners regularly being taken to a building where beatings were conducted. The building was close enough for him to hear the screams of those who were being beaten.

The witness said about four men were beaten almost every night between midnight and 1 am. From his window in Room 13, he saw prisoners covered with blood, leaving the building. The witness remained at KP Dom until his release on August 29, 1992.. (Department of State)

(18) June-July 92:

A 55-year-old Bosnian Muslim from Brcko was a prisoner at Luka camp during which time he observed a Serbian woman in her 20s (later in this report described under the name of Monika) beat "handsome" male prisoners, aged 20 to 30, on the genitals repeatedly and for extended periods of time.

The witness said that on Wednesdays and Saturdays, guards raped teen-aged girls (described later in this report). Monika and certain other guards routinely lined up handsome young men, Croat against Muslim, in rows of three or four. The male prisoners were forced to perform sodomy on one another while being taunted by laughing guards.

According to the witness, the younger handsome males at Luka suffered the most horrific abuses by far of any group of prisoners. (Department of State)

(19) 18 April 92:

A 43-year-old Bosnian Muslim from Foca was in Sokuvac on April 18, 1992, when she witnessed Serbs set[ting] fire to all homes 500 meters below her mother's home.

The witness was arrested at the same time by these men who shouted at her, "Do you know who we are? We are Chetniks!" They wore stockings over their faces to conceal their identity.

The soldiers brought the witness to KP Dom, a detention facility, to be interrogated. Following the interrogation, she was beaten with a rifle butt and bled from ears and mouth. She then was thrown into a cell where she was the only woman. A half hour later, a Muslim man, who had been wounded by a bullet and beaten on the head, was thrown into the same cell.

Two other prisoners came into the cell; one was vomiting blood, the other barely recognizable because of his beating. The witness said the guards threatened to cut her up and throw into the Drina River. She was also forced to hand over her wedding ring when a Serb fighter threatened to cut off her finger. The witness eventually was released and put on a convoy out of Bosnia. (Department of State)

  • Back to Genocide Resources
  • Second part of this report